I imagine a long time ago, when people were inventing sports, the conversation must have went something like this:
Man 1: "It's cold outside! Let's go in and get out of this slippery cold white stuff falling from the sky!"
Man 2: "Yes. This stuff is no good! It's cold and you fall everywhere you walk! Even our stone wheels we made yesterday don't roll on it! And the pterodactyl's are not even chasing us!"
Man 1: (After being in the cave for a while) "It's boring in here and I am getting hungry. Maybe we should go out and try to find something to hunt and eat"
Man 2: "Booga Booga!"
Man 1: "I have an idea. Since the white frozen water is cold on our bare feet, let's get some of the willow branches and tie them to our feet. That way, our feet won't get so cold"
Man 2: "Ok. Great idea!"
So they went out and found some branches and tied them to the bottoms of their feet. Then they went hunting.... Up a hill... Both ways... In the snow... With the wind blowing in their faces...
Man 1: "Look! Over there! I see a bunny at the top of the hill. Let's go hunt him!"
They tried to catch the bunny, but as they got half way up the hill, they both slid down since they had long branches attached to their feet, it was extra slippery.
Man 2: "Wow! That was kind of fun! I'm going to do it again!"
Man 1: "Me too!"
And so, all afternoon, they did this over and over again. Soon, they showed the whole cave city and everyone was sliding down the hill on willow branches.
Boy 1: "What is this called anyhow? I would like to carve it in some rocks so I can remember it!"
Man 1: "I don't think it has a name. I think we invented it!"
Man 2: "Yeah. Let's call it....ummmm.....errrrrrrrrr.. how about ..."
Just then Girl 1 was sliding down the hill and she let out a big scream...of fun...
Girl 1: "SKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! SKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Man 2: "That's it! We will call it SKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE since it's so fun and that's the noise you make when you do it!"
Over the next eons, the SKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE lost some of the trailing E's and soon became known as SKE. Eventually, the E became an I and that's how we now have SKI.
So, Meghan and Marissa have been asking for years for Dad to take them skiing because he once said that he used to go all the time and loved it. He hasn't been since we moved to Cali (5 years now), but an opportunity was presenting itself.
We had some free passes, and free rentals, and Meghan was out of school Tuesday, and Marissa said she could miss school Tuesday, and it was going to be nice weather, so the three of them went skiing (skeeing). Meghan decided to snowboard since she is really good at skateboarding and longboarding.
It was the perfect day. Sunny. No crowds at all. The first three runs down the beginner hill took some time, but after that, the girls picked it up pretty good! Marissa could be heard all over hill screaming as she picked up speed and couldn't stop. She was acting like she was in a race each time! They all did very good! They loved it. But were very very sore from falling for the first little while.
Here is Meghan (in front in a BYU jacket) and Marissa right behind her:
Here is Marissa posing after a good run:
Here is a video of both of them coming down the hill. Meghan is in the middle of the screen, and as she gets closer, you can see Marissa on the right:
HELP! I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP!
Here is Meghan taking a "rest" after falling and hurting all over!
Meghan is getting right back on again:
Here is a video of Doug skiing following Marissa:
All in all, we all had a really good time! We would definitely do it again! Thanks cavemen for inventing skiing! Nothing like sliding down a steep mountain, with sometimes uncontrollable fast speeds, trees in front of you, nothing to stop you, on slippery ice crystals.
What will they think of next?
3 comments:
Silly, the TREES are what stops you!
I love cavemen.....
Also, you have some mad skills in video taping as you're skiing. Kendall shakes the camera more than that when he's standing completely still. ; )
How do you ski holding a camera?! Impressive!
You have to do what you have to do to get the video!
Post a Comment